debugging frame pointerless leaf functions on x86

Hi!

I was checking to see if gdb can debug frame pointerless leaf functions on x86,
so that -momit-leaf-frame-pointer could be turned on by default in GCC-3.x

I found a patch and a discussion in the mailing list archives:

 http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00548.html

but the patch does not seem to have been applied.

That is a pitty, because using -O2 -momit-leaf-frame-pointer gives a
performance improvement of a few percentage points when running SPEC95
over just using -O2. (when using a current GCC snapshot)
And SPEC95 doesn't really have too many function calls, I can bet the
performance improvement can be greater for other programs.

Is there any chance for that patch to be revived and integrated?

Thanks.
        --dan