harvard architectures - the d10v

So a meta question, how should GDB behave when it comes to a harvard
architecture?

I've this feeling that at present we've lots of people all trying to get
GDB to work on harvard architectures and each, in a vacuum, is
determining how it should behave.  The unfortunately consequence is that
when the discussion is finally dragged, kicking and screaming, out onto
a public forum, no one agrees.  People refuse to discuss details because
their harvard architecture is all hush, hush.  By the time the issues
are raised, it is all too late and the real problems are simply not
fixed.

The ironic part to all this is that, long ago, GDB was targeted at the
d10v (it is the extreme games version of a harvard architectures). At
the time it was decided that the d10v hacks should to be accepted into
gdb because that way there was at least a working implementation out
there in a public forum.  The tool you all need to facilitate public
discussion are available yet everyone refuses to use it!

``But the d10v is a hack''?  So?  The point of the d10v, wasn't to
provide a reference implementation (anything but!) but rather to provide
a vehicle through which a reference implementation could be developed.
The really important thing is to remember that this implementation has
been

So, who out of all of you would like to steer this to resolution?  The
first thing I think needs to be done is for people to agree to the
correct interaction and document it.  That way if people ever want to
re-open the debate about what the behaviour should be they can simply
turn to the gdb.texinfo documentation.

	Andrew

--

Anyway, onto more serious matters.  One thing I do remember as a problem
was:

	gdbtypes.h:builtin_type_ptr

it isn't constructed correctly (at the time I didn't know what I was
doing ...).  It should be cloned into:

	builtin_type_data_ptr;  (void*)
	builtin_type_func_ptr;	(void(*)())

that would at least allow the POINTER_TO_ADDRESS and ADDRESS_TO_POINTER
to be called when converting to/from generic pointers.

Anyone?

	Andrew