Re: in ?? ()

On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> Mathieu Dube wrote:
> >
> > hi,
> >  When I do a backtrace in gdb when my program crashes it says:
> > #0  0x400da0a4 in ?? ()
> > #1  0x8049e55 in main (argc=3, argv=0xbffff914) at therver.c:380
> > #2  0x400579ee in ?? ()
> >
> >  How can I figure out the ?? in line #0 and #2?? Or if I cant what is
> > that suppose to tell me about the crash?
> >

> The ?? means that you don't have symbolic information for those addresses.
> As the address range is so different, it seems that it is some library,
> probably a DLL or something.  The addresses even look like cygwin1.dll
> addresses but I am just guessing.

Theres no dll!, the app Im building is a multhreaded(POSIX) network server
it uses libpthread.so and also the postgresql C API which could be the problem
since that I get less problems when I take out the authentification(using a db)
in my program

> The truth is that you did not post enough information for people to
>be able to > help you.  What host is this?  Is this a native debugging session
>or some sort > of cross?
>Which version of things?
gdb5.0,  postgres 7.0

>What commands have you used
I attach to the pid server when it gets where it crashes
I do continue and when it crashes I do bt which outputs the lines I wrote in my
last email

>and what output > you got back from those commands?
>
> And what kind of program is this?  What was it doing in line 380?
> As per your previous postings (each one with a little bit of information),
> it seems that there are threads involved.
>

> --
> Fernando Nasser
> Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com
> 2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300