Re: libremote activation

JT,

The libremote that Rudy was talking about is just some piece of software
to allow targets that do not speak the target protocol to be connected
to gdb.  It is a middleware, a translator, that talks the remote protocol
on one side and the alien protocol on the other. This way one don't have to
make gdb talk funky proprietary protocols or link it to non-GPLed libraries.
The remote protocol is all we need.

As Eric said in the previous message, it will soon be available as
Open Source, as everything else that we do. At that time, people will
be able to start making suggestions, contributing with code and, most
importantly, using it.

It will come with some example directories and a few interfaces already in there
so that it will make it easier for people to understand how it works and how it
should be used.

We have tried it to connect to stand alone simulators, to a proprietary CORBA
interface to a Hardware Emulator and so on.  Michael Snyder stretched the concept
and reimplemented gdbserver using it (that was what Rudy was refering to).
Someone else made it run inside an embedded device!  You can make virtually
anything speak the remote protocol now.

As soon as the general public start playing with it we will see amazing things
being connected to GDB, all using the remote protocol.
Note that this being a library, we can eventually even have a new protocol and
these targets have just to be relinked to a new version of the libremote library.

We will have fun with it.

--
Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com