Sparc V9 disassembly?

I've just joined this list so if this question has been asked, forgive
me.  I looked at the recent mailing list archives and didn't see
anything obvious.

I'm trying to debug some Sparc v9 code and gdb's disassembler doesn't
want to print out the new v9 instructions.  Before trying the
disassembly, I gave the following commands to gdb (version 4.18):

info archi
set archi sparc:v9a
disassemble <addr1> <addr2>

It seems the bug is in gdb_print_insn_sparc.  It sets info->mach to
TM_PRINT_INSN_MACH, which is the sparc/sparclite.  If I use gdb to
change this to 8 (sparc v9?), the disassembler recognizes the v9
instructions.

Is this correct behavior?

Ray

P.S.  This is a Ultra 30 (Ultrasparc IIi), solaris 2.7 machine.  gdb
configured using default options (except --prefix), from a stock
gdb-4.18 tarball.