Re: Gdb target for kdb

   Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:20:29 +0100
   From: Bernard Mainguenaud <mainguen@gabin.frcl.bull.fr>

   We intend to use gdb to debug a running Linux kernel connected
   to another Linux box via an asynchronous line. For this purpose,
   we are considering developping a new gdb target that interfaces
   with kdb. Has anyone ever tried to develop such a kdb target
   before ?

Not to my knowledge.  As Jim Blandy, you could pretend it's like a ROM
monitor and do a backend that way.  However, it would be better to add
a "GDB stub", which is a target-side implementation of the standard GDB
protocol.  Several of the Linux ports, such as for Sparc and Mips,
already have stubs built in; look for gdb_* in the arch-dependent
parts of the kernel.  The x86 port does not include a stub, at least
the last time I looked - supposedly Linus doesn't approve of debugging
stubs, but I haven't heard him actually say that, and it may just be
that no one has actually made the effort to get a stub in.  If so,
then this would be your chance to benefit other kernel developers...

								Stan