Re: Debugging Windows Namespace extension dll

Chris,

I have tracked down the Access Violation. It was in gdb. What it didn't
like was the fact that I had inherited 2 interfaces into the same class
implementation

class ShellFolder : public IShellFolder, IPersistFolder
{
}

This compiled fine, but caused gdb to choke.

I have now separated them out to different implementations, and gdb loads
the dll fine. It is abit inconvenient. I am not sure why gdb wont allow
multiple inheritances.

As far as actually debugging the dll, I still can't do it. Even putting
breakpoints on line numbers still fails.

This is what I am doing:

GNU gdb 4.18

This GDB was configured as "i386-mingw32".

(gdb)
exec-file /windows/explorer.exe

symbol-file macem.dll

set args /root, {53161ce0-56af-11d3-abb2-444553540001},

l CompObj.cpp:10

l CompObj.cpp:10

5       #include <windows.h>

6       #include <wTypes.h>

7       #include <objbase.h>

8       #include <initguid.h>

9       #include "MacEm.h"

10      #include "version.h"

11      #include "Classfac.h"

12

13      int cObject    = 0 ;

14      int cLockCount = 0 ;

(gdb) tb 13

tb 13

Breakpoint 1 at 0x661811a0: file CompObj.cpp, line 13.

(gdb) r

Starting program: /windows/explorer.exe /root,
{53161ce0-56af-11d3-abb2-444553540001},

bfb90000:C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/COMCTL32.DLL

bfb50000:C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/SHLWAPI.DLL

bff60000:C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/USER32.DLL

bff30000:C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/GDI32.DLL

bff70000:C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/KERNEL32.DLL

bfed0000:C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/ADVAPI32.DLL

Cannot insert breakpoint 1:

Cannot access memory at address 0x661811a0.

(gdb)

Am I doing something silly?

Thanks for your help