This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] Allow DW_OP_GNU_uninit in dwarf_expr_require_composition
- From: Tom Tromey <tom at tromey dot com>
- To: Andreas Arnez <arnez at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: Tom Tromey <tom at tromey dot com>, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 16:40:54 -0600
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Allow DW_OP_GNU_uninit in dwarf_expr_require_composition
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
>>>>> "Andreas" == Andreas Arnez <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
Andreas> You mean to allow DW_OP_GNU_uninit to terminate any simple
Andreas> location description?
>> That is, assuming DW_OP_GNU_uninit is useful at all.
>> Another option would be to deprecate it.
Andreas> Right, I wonder about its usefulness as well. For a variable
Andreas> with fixed location it may cover a small window where the
Andreas> compiler can be certain that the variable is uninitialized. I
Andreas> guess this *might* be useful sometimes?
Andreas> Is there even a DWARF issue for this? Or a formal
I don't think so. Last time I looked into this all I was able to find
were the patch submissions to gcc and gdb. IIRC they weren't all that