This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [RFC] Remove all a.out support and gc no-longer-supported OS ABIs? (Re: [PATCH] Avoid spaces in osabi names)
- From: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>
- To: Joel Brobecker <brobecker at adacore dot com>, John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd dot org>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, Simon Marchi <simon dot marchi at ericsson dot com>, Mark Kettenis <mark dot kettenis at xs4all dot nl>
- Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:14:52 +0100
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Remove all a.out support and gc no-longer-supported OS ABIs? (Re: [PATCH] Avoid spaces in osabi names)
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1457377364-990-1-git-send-email-palves at redhat dot com> <56DDD284 dot 2080408 at ericsson dot com> <56DF7DA6 dot 4080704 at redhat dot com> <1637407 dot eeDNHfBBCL at ralph dot baldwin dot cx> <20160420185022 dot GA4078 at adacore dot com>
On 04/20/2016 07:50 PM, Joel Brobecker wrote:
>> With my FreeBSD hat on, I think it would be fine to drop a.out support.
>> FreeBSD still permits running a.out binaries, but if someone really wants
>> to debug that they can probably grab an older snapshot of gdb if they
>> really care. (FreeBSD has used ELF for binaries and cores since 3.0
>> which was released in October 1998. The last release to ship a.out
>> binaries was 2.2.8 released in November of 1998.)
> Thanks for the info! Given what you said, I also think it is fair to
> drop a.out. Should have done that a while ago, actually! :-)
Alright, I'll push it in soon then.