This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: PR13984 - gdb stops controlling a thread after "Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ..." error message
- From: Luis Machado <lgustavo at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Orgad Shaneh <orgads at gmail dot com>, <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 16:19:16 -0500
- Subject: Re: PR13984 - gdb stops controlling a thread after "Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ..." error message
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGHpTBJLq0RhLo=tTP_BmDzNAaVFCHebBvoom21x-ETT9t4ZQw at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: Luis Machado <lgustavo at codesourcery dot com>
On 04/10/2016 09:49 AM, Orgad Shaneh wrote:
Please review the attached patch. It was inspired by the patch
attached to the bug report.
Usually, when you receive that message from GDB it because your target
reported an incorrect register set as a 'g' reply.
The correct solution is to fix your remote target to reply the proper
From the description, it sounds like QEMU needs to be adjusted.
From 03ab95933b85dd85c2f4fa5797017e6cee0c8466 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Orgad Shaneh<firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 17:39:24 +0300
Subject: [PATCH] PR13984, gdb stops controlling a thread...
... after "Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: ..." error message
remote.c: Handle long g packets instead of failing
gdb/remote.c | 6 +-----
1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 5 deletions(-)
diff --git a/gdb/remote.c b/gdb/remote.c
index 5c407b6..e8951dc 100644
@@ -7188,10 +7188,6 @@ process_g_packet (struct regcache *regcache)
buf_len = strlen (rs->buf);
- /* Further sanity checks, with knowledge of the architecture. */
- if (buf_len > 2 * rsa->sizeof_g_packet)
- error (_("Remote 'g' packet reply is too long: %s"), rs->buf);
This is a serious error. If GDB fetches a bogus register set reply, it
will most definitely do the wrong thing after this.