This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH 2/2] [D] Remove search_parents parameter from d_lookup_symbol_imports
- From: Iain Buclaw <ibuclaw at gdcproject dot org>
- To: Doug Evans <xdje42 at gmail dot com>
- Cc: Pedro Alves <palves at redhat dot com>, GDB Patches <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 16:32:17 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] [D] Remove search_parents parameter from d_lookup_symbol_imports
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CABOHX+dAvESSm0gHL4vvwX4JuoZhiy+uac6hSirQ6c35Da0_SQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <56250F4F dot 7050908 at redhat dot com> <CABOHX+ew_AL+kXWHOJKGNQ=aP=fQwva7Kkywo_1UC+OcJntyeQ at mail dot gmail dot com> <86mvv6cwk3 dot fsf at sspiff dot org>
On 26 October 2015 at 01:17, Doug Evans <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
>> On 19 October 2015 at 17:42, Pedro Alves <email@example.com> wrote:
>>> On 10/11/2015 01:01 PM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>> > Whilst looking at part one, a moment of insight came to me and I
>>> > realized this code is completely nonsensical.
>>> > For a start, when importing modules, you don't gain access to all
>>> > parent packages of the given module.
>>> > To add some confusion, even the comment was wrong. It doesn't even
>>> > cater for the example given (it's d_lookup_symbol_module that walks up
>>> > each block scope).
>>> > I feel embarrassed it didn't come to me before. :-)
>>> The usual penance is writing test cases. :-)
>> It helps if there is a compiler readily available to compile said
>> tests. However, there likely is a way to get around this that I'm not
>> aware of. (Skip certain tests if a compiler doesn't exist? ;-)
>> With this patch though, it's all dead code. Hard to write a test for
>> something that is unreachable.
> Would the testsuite's DWARF assembler help here?
> IOW, write the test in DWARF, not D.
Yes, that too, it's just a process that I can foresee taking a while
to get right.