This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
RE: [RFA PATCH 2/3] Add debug-stabs debug-dwarf and class option for pascal compiler
- From: "Pierre Muller" <pierre dot muller at ics-cnrs dot unistra dot fr>
- To: "'Doug Evans'" <dje at google dot com>
- Cc: "'Pedro Alves'" <palves at redhat dot com>, "'gdb-patches'" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 01:55:37 +0100
- Subject: RE: [RFA PATCH 2/3] Add debug-stabs debug-dwarf and class option for pascal compiler
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <54ae4586 dot 01e3440a dot 7b06 dot fffff844SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN at mx dot google dot com> <54AE605A dot 8050308 at redhat dot com> <54ae7f9f dot c323460a dot 36ed dot ffffff30SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN at mx dot google dot com> <54AE8914 dot 4010507 at redhat dot com> <54ae911b dot 85e3440a dot 1d96 dot 5ffdSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN at mx dot google dot com> <54AFB2E5 dot 5080307 at redhat dot com> <54afff61 dot 6790420a dot 0fa7 dot 4f63SMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN at mx dot google dot com> <CADPb22TZH+Ab6xLi_pKspY1xeh76Ms7G5r2r_KcMEHn2pWd2tw at mail dot gmail dot com>
> This patch makes me uncomfortable.
> It's to a pascal specific file, so at least the discomfort is contained
> but I wouldn't want this spreading.
> How to select debug information should be
> orthogonal to compilation language,
> and there are a myriad of ways to select what kind of dwarf debug info
> to get (with/without type units, with/without .gdb_index, with/without
> dwz, and so on). I have board files to help me drive the various
> combinations I'm interested in. This won't work if gdb.pascal/*
> starts hardcoding debug info into the test.
> Maybe there's a good reason to do it this way for pascal,
> but I need more data.
Hi Doug, the reasons of this patch are:
1) the particular problem that the series fixes is strictly limited
to stabs debugging information.
Thus to really test that this bug has been fixed, I need to compile
the test code using stabs debugging format (which I now realize
I did not do in the third part of the patch series).
2) the pascal language support tries to support both
GNU pascal compiler (aka GPC) and Free Pascal Compiler (aka FPC).
These two compilers have very different options,
so the submitted patch purpose is to unify the selection of stabs versus dwarf
debug format independently from the used pascal compiler.
For other pascal tests, only debug is used, which results in the default
format according to the target architecture and operating system.
I hope that the explanations above are sufficient to ease your discomfort.