This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] Speed up "gdb -tui" output
- From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>
- To: Doug Evans <dje at google dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 21:20:42 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Speed up "gdb -tui" output
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <83zj9v7urq dot fsf at gnu dot org> <CADPb22Q7oD3K-dYkngEPDBbV++mLCKifTEmvJczQ=0h2FX0yXA at mail dot gmail dot com> <83sifn7mpt dot fsf at gnu dot org> <CADPb22QeiSrzD81kMJeqpnDBrx1DybpbGmHc1r0koGDtqAu8tw at mail dot gmail dot com> <83h9w278a9 dot fsf at gnu dot org> <CADPb22R_=xwonUGJMxJRtAbbK8OcSmU5ojarB=T9wjg9YEtE6Q at mail dot gmail dot com>
- Reply-to: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>
> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 11:08:41 -0800
> From: Doug Evans <email@example.com>
> Cc: gdb-patches <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Eli Zaretskii <email@example.com> wrote:
> > The problem is not Windows per se, it's the Windows console driver
> > implemented as part of ncurses.
> >> So one way to go, and again, this is just a possibility,
> >> is to not send tui_puts a character at a time.
> > This means a major redesign of how ui-file and friends work, much more
> > than the energy and time I have to spend on this issue.
> Depends on how one approaches it.
If you have ideas how to do that without a major effort, please tell.
I was talking based on several hours of staring at that stuff, but
perhaps I missed something.
> Note that while we do explicitly call *_unfiltered with single characters,
> unfiltered output is not in itself broken up into single characters.
Not sure what you mean by that. fputs_maybe_filtered, which is the
workhorse of most of the output functions, explicitly writes out the
stuff it gets one character at a time, by calling fputc_unfiltered.
How's that not breaking output?