This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] gdb/arm-tdep.c: Remove "Infinite loop detected" error message.
- From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha at arm dot com>
- To: Will Newton <will dot newton at linaro dot org>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sourceware dot org" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>, Patch Tracking <patches at linaro dot org>
- Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:06:11 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] gdb/arm-tdep.c: Remove "Infinite loop detected" error message.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <527D12A4 dot 6070109 at linaro dot org>
On 08/11/13 16:34, Will Newton wrote:
> Since as far back as the beginning of the sourceware repository
> the ARM port has printed an error "Infinite loop detected" when
> the next_pc calculated is the same as the current one, for example
> when encountering a branch to the current PC address.
> This causes the test gdb.base/random-signal.exp as the error message
> is not expected. I have not been able to find a good reason for the
> message to be here so remove it and let the test pass.
> 2013-11-08 Will Newton <email@example.com>
> * arm-tdep.c (arm_get_next_pc): Remove "Infinite loop detected"
> error message.
I guess the reasoning for this is that you can't single-step a
'branch-to-self' instruction, since the next instruction (where the new
breakpoint has to go) is the same as the current instruction.
However, it ought to be the higher levels of GDB that handle this, not
some random low-level function like get-next-pc.