This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH][RFC] symfile.c:find_separate_debug_file: additional path
- From: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- To: Tiago <tiagofaq at gmail dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:52:13 -0600
- Subject: Re: [PATCH][RFC] symfile.c:find_separate_debug_file: additional path
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5273E882 dot 5000304 at gmail dot com>
>>>>> "Tiago" == Tiago <email@example.com> writes:
Tiago> Recently I added a directory with debug symbols to the
Tiago> "debug-file-directory" variable in .gdbinit, expecting that gdb would
Tiago> search for the debug file mentioned in the ".gnu_debuglink" section in
Tiago> this directory. That is not the case.
Yeah. This way is contrary to the gdb documentation of the feature.
Tiago> Is there an easier way to obtain the desirable behaviour? (note that I
Tiago> cannot change the location of binaries or debug symbols. I can only
Tiago> change .gdbinit, the .gnu_debuglink section of the binaries and gdb)
Tiago> Is this patch suitable for the main repo?
What system is this that can't be changed? I think it would be
preferable to make your system work the way it is all documented to
Though, really, you should be using build-ids and not this stuff anyway.
In any case this patch needs a documentation fix before it could be
considered. I suppose I'm mildly against it, on the theory that the
existing mechanisms are documented and sufficient.