This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: SEGV in dwarf2read.c -- gdb-7.2
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Michael Eager <eager at eagerm dot com>
- Cc: "gdb-patches at sourceware dot org" <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 17:20:26 +0100
- Subject: Re: SEGV in dwarf2read.c -- gdb-7.2
- References: <4EB2BD58.firstname.lastname@example.org>
sorry but I cannot comment more without a reproducer, such possible fix should
have a regression testcase anyway. Could you provide a reproducer in some
form even just off-list (so that I can reduce it if it is not completely
public and not so critically secure)?
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:12:08 +0100, Michael Eager wrote:
> I ran into a SEGV in in gdb-7.2
The stable release is 7.3.1, moreover for such development I would find only
FSF GDB HEAD relevant. I remember several fixes which it may be related to.
> Is there a reason to read the CU header into a temporary data
> area rather than reload it using load_full_comp_unit() which will add it to
> the CU cache?
I guess for performance reasons, the CU header read-in vs. load_full_comp_unit
is a big difference. There are already some PRs (such as 12828 (a)) where GDB
needlessly expands too many CUs "locking itself" by inacceptable performance.