This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH 2/6] Introduce `pre_expanded sals'
- From: Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- To: Pedro Alves <pedro at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, Sergio Durigan Junior <sergiodj at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:23:50 -0600
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/6] Introduce `pre_expanded sals'
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20110412115308.GA384@host1.jankratochvil.net> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Tom> Yesterday I started wondering if this patch series could go in if
Tom> re-expressed as catchpoints.
I looked into this quite a bit and I think it won't work out.
It works out fine for plain catchpoints, but it still falls down if we
want to set tracepoints at SystemTap probes. Doing this means we get
into the same issues with multiple locations that we were trying to
avoid by moving to catchpoints.
Now I am considering a third approach, namely rebasing the SystemTap
work on the ambiguous linespec proposal that I'm implementing (this will
solve the multiple location problem), and then using option-like syntax
for probes, like "break -p probe".