This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the GDB project.

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

[RFA] Add interface for registering JITed code


I'm working on unladen swallow, and we're trying to speed up Python by
using the LLVM JIT.  However, when we merge back to mainline, we want
developers to be able to debug CPython with GDB.  So that means we
need LLVM to generate dwarf debug info, and we need to register it
with GDB.  After talking with some GDB developers here at Google, we
decided the best way to do this was to mirror the dlopen/dlclose

On the LLVM side, for each JITed function we create a small ELF in
memory with the debug info and symbol.  LLVM then writes a little code
entry struct describing the ELF, adds it to a linked list, and calls

I've added a breakpoint at __jit_debug_register_code and a
corresponding event handler on the GDB side, which then reads the code
entry out of another special global symbol (__jit_debug_descriptor).
GDB then copies over the ELF and creates a BFD with it in memory, as
is done in symbol-file-from-memory.  Then it can call
add_symbol_file_from_bfd with the BFD, and life is good.

If GDB attaches while the program is running, it reads the linked list
of code entries from the descriptor and registers each ELF as above.

If LLVM frees machine code, then it sets the action enum in the
descriptor to JIT_UNREGISTER, points the descriptor at the relevant
code entry, and calls __jit_debug_register_code again.  This way, GDB
can turn around and free the corresponding object file.  It's a nicer
interface than the shared library interface because it actually passes
the relevant entry, so you don't have to iterate over the linked list
in the inferior.

Finally, if the inferior exits, GDB goes through and tosses out all
the JITed object files.

One nice thing about this interface is that we don't have to reinvent
another "file" format to encode the debug information, but it is
annoying that it requires the JIT to link in an object file writer.
Right now LLVM only has call frame information support (which they use
for dwarf exception handling), but they have plans to add more after
this summer.  With this interface, we don't have to change anything on
the GDB side when that happens.

Here is a demo of what this does on x86_64, which relies on call frame
information to produce a backtrace.

Without the interface, the backtrace is totally garbled (it has way
too many frames) in addition to not having symbols:

[rnk@knuckles llvm-gdb-64]$ gdb Debug/bin/lli
GNU gdb 6.8-gg16
(gdb) run t.bc
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7ffff7fd86f0 (LWP 15017)]
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff61441a4 in ?? ()
#1  0x0000000000000003 in ?? ()
#2  0x0000000000000004 in ?? ()
#3  0x00037ffff5f43fd0 in ?? ()
#4  0x00007ffff614411c in ?? ()
#5  0x00027fff00000003 in ?? ()
#6  0x00007ffff61440aa in ?? ()
#7  0x01000002f5f43ff0 in ?? ()
#8  0x00007ffff614402c in ?? ()
#9  0x0100000000000001 in ?? ()
#10 0x0000000001438a40 in ?? ()
#11 0x00007fff00000001 in ?? ()
#12 0x0000000000b84d63 in llvm::JIT::runFunction (this=0x1405900, F=0x1402e10,
    at /home/rnk/llvm-gdb/lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JIT.cpp:411
#13 0x0000000000ba8985 in llvm::ExecutionEngine::runFunctionAsMain (
    this=0x1405900, Fn=0x1402e10, argv=@0x13efab8, envp=0x7fffffffe3a0)
    at /home/rnk/llvm-gdb/lib/ExecutionEngine/ExecutionEngine.cpp:378
#14 0x00000000007e8635 in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe388,
    envp=0x7fffffffe3a0) at /home/rnk/llvm-gdb/tools/lli/lli.cpp:220

With the interface, it has symbols and no extra frames:

[rnk@knuckles llvm-gdb-64]$ ../gdb-jit-64/gdb/gdb Debug/bin/lli
(gdb) run t.bc
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff61441a4 in baz ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff61441a4 in baz ()
#1  0x00007ffff614411c in bar ()
#2  0x00007ffff61440aa in foo ()
#3  0x00007ffff614402c in main ()
#4  0x0000000000b84d63 in llvm::JIT::runFunction (this=0x1405900, F=0x1402e10,
    ArgValues=...) at /home/rnk/llvm-gdb/lib/ExecutionEngine/JIT/JIT.cpp:411
#5  0x0000000000ba8985 in llvm::ExecutionEngine::runFunctionAsMain (
    this=0x1405900, Fn=0x1402e10, argv=..., envp=0x7fffffffe390)
    at /home/rnk/llvm-gdb/lib/ExecutionEngine/ExecutionEngine.cpp:378
#6  0x00000000007e8635 in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffe378,
    envp=0x7fffffffe390) at /home/rnk/llvm-gdb/tools/lli/lli.cpp:220

I've tested this on x86_64 debugging both 64-bit and 32-bit inferiors.

Please review!


Attachment: jit-patch.txt
Description: Text document

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]