This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [RFC] Improve testsuite for poor expect behavior
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: Pierre Muller <muller at ics dot u-strasbg dot fr>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:05:05 -0400
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Improve testsuite for poor expect behavior
- References: <email@example.com>
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:00:31AM +0200, Pierre Muller wrote:
> For mingw32, the main problem is that
> there are extra ^M generated in the output.
Why? ISTR that this is fixed by setting stdout/stderr to binary mode,
but I thought a patch was submitted for this ages ago... I know we're
carrying one in our tree.
> There is a second aspect, which is mainly a problem of
> the cygwin expect: GDB run inside expect does not believe that
> they are connected to a terminal, which means that queries are
> answered by their default values.
> A large part of the patch below is devoted to adding pattern
> that recognize correctly the cases where a query is answered automatically.
I do not like either of these changes to the testsuite, because
they're outright wrong on other platforms. I'd rather fix them in
GDB. They're not limitations of expect, but of the environment in
which GDB is running.