This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [patch] MI: breakpoint "script" is a LIST
- From: Jan Kratochvil <jan dot kratochvil at redhat dot com>
- To: Vladimir Prus <vladimir at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: gdb-patches at sources dot redhat dot com, Dodji Seketeli <dseketel at redhat dot com>
- Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:41:13 +0100
- Subject: Re: [patch] MI: breakpoint "script" is a LIST
- References: <20081113130442.GA12991@host0.dyn.jankratochvil.net> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 14:12:54 +0100, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > Nemiver could not parse the MI2 output. The list of commands is a `list', not
> > a `tuple'.
> For how long this bug is here? Is the risk that existing frontend break higher than
> inconvenience to keep the code as is?
The current code does not comply to any generic MI parser as it violates the
MI grammar http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_26.html#SEC264 ,
as pointed out by Dodji.
It may be compliant only to some hacky buggy parsers written specifically for
each MI command.
If we want to keep -break-list "script" to produce tuples we have to change it
which will IMO also break any existing buggy parsers.
And GDB is now between major releases 6.8->6.9 which IMO means it does not
have to keep bug-to-bug compatibility.