This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH] Accept DWARF 3-format debug info
- From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>
- To: Jim Blandy <jimb at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: julian at codesourcery dot com, gdb-patches at sourceware dot org, dan at codesourcery dot com
- Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:28:07 +0300
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Accept DWARF 3-format debug info
- References: <4488A920.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org.>
- Reply-to: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu dot org>
> Cc: email@example.com, Daniel Jacobowitz <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> From: Jim Blandy <email@example.com>
> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:25:42 -0700
> I think this patch is right. It's true that GDB doesn't support all
> of DWARF 3, but GDB's general philosophy is to garner as much
> information as it can, and punt the rest, which works well with
> DWARF's philosophy. So GDB shouldn't just punt entire compilation
> units because they're marked as DWARF 3.
I agree with the philosophy, but the devil is usually in the
In this case, what will happen when GDB sees a DWARF-3 feature it
doesn't yet support? I think we should make sure it displays a
warning message, instead of throwing an internal error (or some
similar fatal reaction).