This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: RFA: "maint print type" should print all the flag bits
- From: Jim Blandy <jimb at zwingli dot cygnus dot com>
- To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at is dot elta dot co dot il>
- Cc: fnf at redhat dot com, gdb-patches at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 11 Dec 2001 13:56:37 -0500
- Subject: Re: RFA: "maint print type" should print all the flag bits
- References: <Pine.SUN.3.91.1011211101713.19L-100000@is>
Eli Zaretskii <email@example.com> writes:
> > They're only meant for use by GDB developers.
> How do you expect the GDB developers to discover their existence if
> they aren't documented? Even if they do discover their existence, how
> would a developer who never used a particular command know what it
> does? The built-in doc strings are terse and don't explain much. For
> example, suppose i use "maint print type" and see it print
> TYPE_FLAG_TARGET_STUB--how do I figure out what that means? (If you
> think that GDB's sources explain that clearly, think again ;-)
> I think every command should be documented in the manual.
Well, you're right, of course. There's no good reason *not* to
document them, other than laziness.