question about Proc.java

I was digging through Proc.java last night and I found this:

    public String[] getCmdLine ()
    {
	argv = sendrecCmdLine ();
	return argv;
    }
    protected abstract String[] sendrecCmdLine ();
    private String[] argv;

I think something is weird here ... arg is not used anywhere else in
Proc.  It could just be deleted.

There are a number of instances of this in this file.  Were these
intended to be caches?

If not, why not simply dispense with the wrappers and have getCmdLine
(et al) be abstract?

Tom