Re: Spam on the list

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 12:39 +0200, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> > I am not for closing the list. Just for filtering out the spam before it
> > gets forwarded by the list. Other lists get this right, they are open
> > for everybody to post to, and filter out spam, so it never reaches the
> > subscribers. Just place spamassassin, or some other spam filter, before
> > the mailman handler.
>
> I don't see the point of having it be open without requiring someone to subscribe .. this
> just seems non-optimum from the standpoint of having a functioning dialog.

Not everybody follows mailinglists through the mailinglist itself. Some
use gmane, rss feeds, just stumble upon the web archives. If you need to
discuss with the developers just once or twice having to subscribe
through some mailinglist before you can join the conversation is really
inconvenient. Just make the mail server reject the spam instead of
forwarding it to all subscribers (and adding it to the archives) would
solve all problems IMHO.

Cheers,

Mark