Re: run-elf_cntl_gelf_getshdr.sh fails if '--enable-thread-safety' is used

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 04:23:41PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> That configure option has not been used in a while and isn't really
>> maintained at present.  We don't recommend using it in any version we
>> have released so far.
>
> I've been using that option in Debian for a while now.  Are you
> saying I better turn it off?

elfutils really can't be used in concurrent environment, unless the
application does some sort of "big elfutils lock" externally, or is
careful to only call libelf et.al. from one thread.  It's not even the
case of known-broken.  This code has been worked on so long ago that
it's status is simply unknown.  libdw and libdwfl are not even covered
at all.

In reality, apart from not being reliable in multi-threaded environment,
the presence of locks actually makes matters worse in single-threaded
context as well (as you can see).

So yeah, I'd leave it off.

Thanks,
PM