Re: Preparing for elfutils 0.158

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 09:12:56PM +0100, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 10:40:38 +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > After that I would like to push for a 0.158 release on Monday after
> > testing it on various setups this weekend. Unless any critical
> > regressions are found.
>
> I did not expect you would release elfutils as is.  According to our very long
> ppc64 discussions IIUC the API is unfinished, there is missing some new API to
> report real symbol names.  I expected the new API will be still done before
> the release.

No sorry, no new code. 0.159 will come soon enough to add more API.
Now we have to focus on any bugs that pop up during release testing.

> No matter what the API should / should not do the currently user-visible
> behavior of eu-stack command completely messes up ppc64 platform ABI.

We discussed this before. There is nothing wrong with the code as is.
You are confusing a user visible backtrace with function names with
a low-level ABI detail.

> Besides that /proc/PID/map_files/ are still not approved.

That code is still in development, will have to go in the next release.

> Without them I do
> not see how to make the unwinder usable from the ABRT core dumper, currently
> the only use case of the elfutils unwinder.

There are many fixes in this release and the unwinder is already very
useful in various cases. We can certainly improve it in a next release
with more features.

Cheers,

Mark