Re: contrasting elfutils debuginfod and clr-debug-info server

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 02:05:42PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > > actually the clear side provides both build id and filename, the
> > > tools on the client (gdb and the like) try buildid first, and fall
> > > back to filename, and we just do both
> >
> > AIUI that works by using the "/usr/lib/debug/.build-id/HE/XCODE" as the
> > key, i.e., the build-id as a file name.
>
> sure but it's not "/usr/bin/true" of which  you might have different versions over
> the lifespan of a distro through its updates
>
> (e.g. you can connect gdb to a process that got updated on disk later and still get the right answers)

Do you also handle the core file use case? There you might not have
the right /usr/bin/true version on disk.

Recent Fedora releases use /usr/lib/.build-id which you could provide
through the Fuse file system. On Fedora those are symlinks to the
binaries installed, but you could provide the actual binaries
instead. That would be somewhat similar to the debuginfod
/buildid/BUILDID/executable request then.

Cheers,

Mark