Re: contrasting elfutils debuginfod and clr-debug-info server

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 12:32:49PM -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Through some comments on phoronix [0], just became (re?)aware of the
> neat clear-linux debuginfo server facility [1].  It's similar to the
> nixos one we have mentioned before in that it relies on a local fuse
> server expose remote debuginfo artifacts under /usr/src,
> /usr/lib/debug etc.  to local tools.  The server side relies on a web
> server [2] that has a carefully unpacked, unified-namespace tree of
> all the artifacts into individual .tar files.  This has some
> pros/cons, naturally.

This looks nice. I wonder if we can somehow make debuginfod-client a
backend for a similar Fuse system.

> Some contrasts in a tabular form:
>
>                     clear-linux                                elfutils
>
> indexed             by filename                                by buildid
> client side sw      fuse server                                apprx. none
> server side sw      plain file server                          debuginfod
> server side disk    unpacked, unified-namespace layout         orig pkg set
> multi-version       maybe, if /usr/src/XXXX filenames unique   no problem

When using newer rpm then the filenames should be unique:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ParallelInstallableDebuginfo

But I am not sure how it would handle multiple versions of
executables.

> multi-arch          req. separate servers                      no problem
> multi-distro        req. separate servers                      one server ok

One of the use cases of debuginfod is working with local/team builds
for binaries not packaged by a distro. How does clear-linux handle that?

Cheers,