Re: AW: Re: C++ Support

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 11:11 +0200, Neundorf, Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Von: ecos-discuss-owner@ecos.sourceware.org
> > I'm using both STLport and libstdc++ w/eCos.
> >
> > It isn't supported out of the box, but it isn't too hard to get it
> > working and I haven't seen any problems once up and running.
> >
> > The instructions are a bit crude and there are some somewhat
> > questionable steps due to newlib/eCos issues, but you can
> > always buy the
> > eCosPro kit if you want something that is fully tested and
> > works out of
> > the box :-)
> >
> > http://www.zylin.com/libstdc++.html
> > http://www.zylin.com/stlport.html
>
> Can you compare both ? Code size, execution speed, memory consumption, general impression, problems, etc. ?

No appreciable difference in code size and I haven't tested performance.

The main reason I wanted to get libstdc++ working was that at some point
I want to switch to GCC 3.4.2 for new projects and the STLport guys
haven't taken an interest in eCos support AFAICT. Presumably libstdc++
support would work for future GCC versions without much effort as
compared to STLport.

My impression is that libstc++ is more heavily tested(ref. libstdc++ GCC
testsuite on a raft of platforms) and there is a consensus(pthreads) on
how to support multithreaded exceptions.

> > For the libstdc++ stuff I submitted a patch to eCos w.r.t. some issues
> > with using C++ early in eCos startup, but it didn't receive
> > any comments
> > so far:
> >
> > http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-patches/2005-04/msg00007.html
>
> I guess you should post again :-)

Well.... I wonder. eCosPro contains libstdc++ support.  So... ?

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com