Re: How do I build the eCos and download it(or them) to aRedBoot booted i386 PC target?

Boen Shieh wrote:

I need someone simply tell me how to build the eCos, including
> the kernel, the hal, etc.,and what is the file format of the
> build resulting, and how to download them to the redbooted
> i386 PC target.

I've tryed to do that by default template, and as a
> consequence, there creates three directories like these
> /var/tmp/i386_default_build, /var/tmp/i386_default_install,
> /var/tmp/i386_default_mlt. I do not find the .img file in
> this directories.

So, are there some kind experts or some experienced old hands
> could give me some instructions? A lot of thanks.

(Please note that I've been using eCos for about a month so
I don't really qualify as either an expert or an old hand)

You need to go to the i386_default_build directory and run 'make'. If
everything is OK, this will create a 'libtarget.a' and an 'extras.o'
in the i386_default_install directory. You can then build and link
your own program. You need to tell your compiler where to find
the eCos header files (/var/tmp/i386_default_install/include/) and
the libraries (/var/tmp/i386_default_install/lib), and to link
against libtarget and extras.o found there. I believe there is an
example in the User's guide.

As to what format the build will have -- since I don't use the i386
target I can only guess here, but I assume it will be in ELF format.