dwarf support for assembly level debugging information

Hi all,

 I wanted to know if 'as' (GNU assembler) generates dwarf debug
 information when a hand coded assembly file is assembled with 'as'
 with '-gdwarf-2' option.

To be simple in words does dwarf support assembly level debugging.
That is we write a hand code assembly file (say test.s) the instruct
assembler to include debugging information. The command line of type:
>as -gdwarf-2 test.s

Regards
TARUN