Re: 64-bit safe environment -- sorry, meant to cc all, not be private

Again, jargon is not appropriate. Whether you call it a "64-bit safe
environment" or a "64-bit safe description", whatever is meant by "safe"
is both unclear and unnecessary.

If we adopt your proposal to support Dwarf 2 files which are larger than
4Gb, and I'm not convinced that it is necessary, then we will craft text
to describe the contents of the Dwarf file.  Nothing will be "safe" or
"unsafe", it will just be as described.

With regard to your comment that you had agreement from Dave to adopt
your proposal, please understand that no matter how much respect we have
for his opinion, I'm sure that he will agree that his is only one opinion.
Neither his agreement nor your belief that there were no adverse comments
(which is, as I might point out, not accurate) is justification for
assuming that the entire committee will adopt your proposal.  We will discuss
your proposal and come to a conclusion about whether to adopt, modify or
reject the proposal in just the same way we have with every other proposal.

Again, please do not update the draft with proposals which have not
been approved.  It's absolutely inappropriate to have "placeholders" in
the draft for proposals which have neither received discussion nor
approval.  If you want to list the places which are "impacted" by your
proposal, list them in the proposal, not in the draft document.

When editing the draft document, it needs to conform to the committee's
decisions, not your personal desires.  This requires a modicum of discipline.
Yes, I do feel that your incorporating your proposal before it was approved
by the committee was playing "fast and loose" as you describe it.  We don't
work on the basis that by editing the document you get to put in your proposals
and then the committee needs to act to remove them.

Please remove any unapproved material and send me an update.  Or send me
the original file and I will edit it as needed.

--
Michael Eager	 Eager Consulting     eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077