[docbook] Using multiple modules

OK, I've gone nutty and want to use both MathML2 markup through the math
module and write EBNF's in the same document.  First I thought it
wouldn't be a problem since I am using XInclude and thus each chapter
could have been validated separately and, provided that I don't want
both math and ebnf's in the same chapter, there wouldn't be a problem,
but then I remembered that xmlto passses --xinclude to /usr/bin/xmllint
during the validation step, so XInclude's are resolved before being
validated...so I figured I would write my own DTD, simply including both
modules:

<!ENTITY % DocBookEBNFDTD
        PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook EBNF Module V1.1CR1//EN"
        "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/ebnf/1.1CR1/dbebnf.dtd";>
%DocBookEBNFDTD;

<!ENTITY % DocBookMathMLDTD
        PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook MathML Module V1.0//EN"
        "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/mathml/1.0/dbmathml.dtd";>
%DocBookMathMLDTD;

which doesn't work very well.  Since both include the standard Docbook DTD
(4.2) I'm getting a lot of errors about already defined elements and so
on, and the mathml stuff isn't being added to the elements that should
contain it.  What do I do?  I mean, one could simply combine the two
into one file by cat'ing them together more or less and using that as a
DTD, but that seems rather stupid and doesn't make it very, well,
modular.  Is there any other way I could resolve this issue?
	nikolai

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::