Re: Re: Markup of Thesaurus [maybe off-topic]

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> wrote:

> / Trevor Jenkins <trevor.jenkins@suneidesis.com> was heard to say:
> | http://www.mda.org.uk/bmobj/Obthess2.htm
> >
> | which shows immediately the type of material to be processed.
>
> Interesting stuff. The British Museum examples are a bit out of scope
> for DocBook, though.

Not when one is documenting a software package that includes a thesurus
search function using this style of data. :-) Or having to prepare such
thesaurus lists for use by customers of the product.

> Anything related to computer software or hardware
> documentation around?

Nothing that's accessible on the web. IEE's INSPEC thesaurus is perhaps
the most complete but one has to pay to get hold of it. Previously I've
dealt with the NIH's MESH thesaurus, which might be available as part of
their Grateful Med (sic or should htat be sick) gateway, but agin isn't
software/hardware related. But the inaccessiblity of it ought not to
preclude such structures being in DocBook. Some of the defintion lists in
8879 and other standards could be beter expressed as thesaurus lists.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government now!
Details at http://www.fdp.org.uk/ or http://www.bsl-march.co.uk/

--

<>< Re: deemed!