Re: Environment Variables in File/Directory Names

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Oh, I probably use envar for both. That distinction isn't often important.

Really?

> If it was, I'd just use a role attribute. Or maybe <literal
> role="envar">.  Or something.

For environment variables there is <envar> or <literal role="envar"> (if
you're sure your stylesheets will support the role attribute); for
values use <literal>.

Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc@linuxweasel.com> writes:

>> This leads me to another question: What markup is appropriate
>> for distinguishing between an environment variable and its value? (I'm
>> simply talking about the difference between TOMCAT_HOME and $TOMCAT_HOME).
>
> I normally use <varname>...

Really?  And when your publischer decides, all environment variables
should be prefixed with "$" or printed with italics you've lost; better
distinguish now:

<varname> is for such things like:

    <literal>9</literal>.

And finally we have: