Re: table question

Jeff Rancier <jeff.rancier@softechnics.com> writes:

> Should I be able to have a <entrytbl/> in place of an <entry/> in a
> <row/>? The following doesn't work. I have the following format for
> a table: [example removed]

Your example looks valid, so by "doesn't work", maybe you mean you
can't get it transformed to HTML or whatever.

If that's the case, you probably should follow up on docbook-apps.

If you post there, make sure to say which stylesheets you're using --
the XSL ones, right?

First thing: the XSL stylesheets don't support <entrytbl> at all. So
if you have docs with <entrytbl>'s in them and want to process them
using XSLT, you'll need to create/add a custom <entrytbl> template.

That is, create a new stylesheet that imports docbook.xsl or chunk.xsl
then add an <entrytbl> template to it -- you don't need to edit the
actual stylesheets from the distribution.

If you ask on docbook-apps, maybe someone else on that list has
already created an <entrytbl> template they can share.

If you don't want to deal with that, I think the DSSSL stylesheets
fully support <entrytbl>, so maybe you use those with Jade instead.

Also, in my experience at least, there are some complex tables (i.e.
ones with multiple horizontal and vertical spans) that the XSL
stylesheets won't process correctly, but the DSSSL stylesheets will.

But as far as <entrytbl> goes, maybe consider if you really need it.
The OASIS Exchange model, which will be the table model in DocBook 5.0,
doesn't allow it (or <spanspec>, <tfoot>) [1]. So if interoperability
or forward compatibility is a concern, don't use <entrytbl>.

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/html/tm9901.htm