Re: see also representation (was Re: "How do I represent...?")

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> / Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> was heard to say:
> | "John R. Daily" <jdaily@progeny.com> writes:
> |
> | > * I would like to formalize the "See also" concept. I don't think a
> | > bibliography is what I'm aiming for, although if that should be used,
> | > that's fine. I intend to provide a unique document identifier to each
> | > document, and I would like to be able to provide a list of such
> | > identifiers in the meta-information for each document, perhaps with a
> | > relationship value to indicate the relevance of the other document.
>
> If you want to do cross-document links at the source level, OLink is your
> only hope. And it sounds like it might suit what you have in mind.

No, just intra-document.  I'm not really worried about the linking
technology here, but rather just a standard presentation aspect.

> | I'm hitting this problem right now since I'm using DocBook (SGML)
> | for online help.
>
> DocBook as a source for online help comes up fairly regularly.
>
> | Does anyone have any "best practices" or experiences to share about
> | this?  I'm thinking I need a little element kinda like NOTE or
> | whatever that carries this stuff.  Shouldn't be too hard to hack up
> | the SGML modular extension and DSSSL stuff for it, but I don't wanna
> | do more than I have to...
>
> Can you provide some examples?

Chapter 10: Managing Employees

<lots of instructions go here>

See also:
  - Chapter 8: Manage people
  - Section 11.2: Authorizations Explained

Clearly, some sort of character markup with an itemize list thingie
would do it, but since this comes up over and over (e.g., "Related
Topics", much the same thing, in WinHelp), it seems that getting a few
people's heads together and coming up with an RFE for DocBook might be
useful to the community.