Re: Allow StartsWith/ContinuationOf on OrderedList?

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 05:32:59PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:

> 1. Add a "StartsWith" attribute to OrderedList so that the author
>    can set the starting number explicitly.
>
>    Pros: simple; solves the problem; offers additional flexibility,
>          can be used to start list numbering arbitrarily (and
>          independent of) continuation.
>
>    Cons: it's fragile, if the author does this to get the value "5"
>          in the preceding example, and then adds a new listitem to
>          "list1", "list3" will still begin at 5.
>
> 2. Add a "ContinuationOf" attribute which is an IDREF to the list
>    which the author would like to continue.
>
>    Pros: robust; solves the problem
>    Cons: slightly more complex; less flexible, you can't just number
>          a list starting at 37 because you like the number 37.
>
> I prefer 2. I suppose we could add both 1 and 2, but we've
> generally tried to resist solving problems that people didn't
> claim to have (yet).
>
> If we elect to go with option 2, then we should probably
> deprecate and then remove "Continuation".

If "Continuation" is documented as I described, I think it isn't
needed to implement more things. Although 1 is very interesting
sometimes... So it is 2.
--
Godoy.	<godoy@conectiva.com.br>               GPG Fingerprint
                                         851B B620 626D 2AD0 E783

Except where explicitly stated I speak on my own behalf.
Exceto onde explicitado as declarações aqui feitas são apenas minhas.