This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the DocBook project.
Re: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements
- To: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
- Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements
- From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at debian dot org>
- Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:35:51 +0100
- Reply-To: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
On Tuesday 21 December 1999, at 17 h 16, the keyboard of Karl Eichwalder
> Wondering again why people refuse to use SGML and "marked sections"...
Several reasons. Top two for me:
- marked sections may contain errors since they are not validated if IGNOREd.
Using a new attribute means that your document has still to be entirely valid.
- you cannot do more complicated algebra like 'This phrase is only true
between releases 1.3 and 2.1'.
> XML is to please machines and not to make the writer happy.
XML is to please the people who write custom applications. Exactly what I did to implement the OS versioning scheme. A few lines of Perl and I can extract each version.
An happy XML writer