Re: Including OS Version information on DocBook elements

/ Karl Eichwalder <ke@suse.de> was heard to say:
| Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> writes:
|
| |   We would then have a pre-processor that, given the name of a
| |   specific release, would run through the documentation, stripping out
| |   all the elements whose osversion* attributes didn't match that
| |   release, before handing the SGML over to a formatter like Jade.
|
| Wondering again why people refuse to use SGML and "marked sections"...
| XML is to please machines and not to make the writer happy.

The semantic that Nik's after goes well beyond what marked
sections can provide. And using XML instead of SGML makes
writing applications to perform these sorts of semantic
transformations nearly infinitely easier.

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | As a general rule, the most
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | successful man in life is the man
Member, DocBook Editorial Board    | who has the best