This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the DocBook project.
Re: UNIX manpage -> DocBook -> manpage ?
- To: D dot Thomas at imb dot uq dot edu dot au (Danny Thomas)
- Subject: Re: DOCBOOK: UNIX manpage -> DocBook -> manpage ?
- From: Adam Di Carlo <adam at onshore dot com>
- Date: 21 Dec 1999 11:21:36 -0500
- Cc: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
- References: <email@example.com>
- Reply-To: docbook at lists dot oasis-open dot org
D.Thomas@imb.uq.edu.au (Danny Thomas) writes:
> I'm wondering what is around to convert unix manpages into DocBook. Assume
> the source manpages are cleanly and comprehensively marked up, BSD mandoc
Nothing that I know of.
ROFF macros are procedural, whereas SGML/XML is descriptive markup.
So any solution is only going to be a 60% solution anyhow.
> PS I also interested to know what conversions are available from DocBook to
> mandoc manpages. I'm mainly interested in whether DocBook can be an
> internal representation for holding manpages but also convertable to html,
> pdf etc in perhaps better ways (eg HTML CSS) than the normal manpage
> converters. The distinction is I'm not looking to convert arbitrary DocBook
> to manpag, just the subset of DocBook likely to be produced from a manpage
> -> DocBook conversion.
docbook2x is a good tool
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>