Re: PNG Inline graphics

/ Matt Mozur <matt.mozur@flashcom.net> was heard to say:
| > No, notations are a way of declaring the content of an external
| > entity, but few SGML/XML processing systems really care about the
| > information. At best, they are a good idea that was never fully
| > developed.
|
| Why is that?

Why was it never developed? Hard to say. The practical fact is that
few processing systems care about them.

| Also, in the documentation you recommend using
| entityref over fileref... why is that?

Perhaps the documetation is unclear. What it's supposed to say
is that if you specify BOTH an entityref attribute and a fileref
attribute on the SAME graphic, then entityref is used. The point
is that you can only use one and we wanted to make sure that the
processing expectations were clear.

Which should you use? That's a tougher question, there are pros
and cons. In SGML, using entityref and entities with public IDs
allows you to remap the graphic files actually used simply by
changing the catalog. But it means you have to create an entity
for each graphic.

Even in XML, where you have to provide system identifiers and
there aren't generally any catalogs, using entities puts all the
filenames in one spot, instead of scattered throughout your
document. Which is especially handy if you have a lot of graphic
reuse.

But it's tedious to maintain all those entities by hand, so if
you don't have an editing tool that can help, it's probably a
lot simpler to just use fileref.

| it worked for html once I added the PNG notation,
| but not for print.  LaTeX blows up with this error message:
|
| ! LaTeX Error: Cannot determine size of graphic in
| /home/httpd/html/images/gEDA_logo.png (no BoundingBox).
|
| Is there any way around this?

Convert your PNG files to EPS using some other tool, change your
graphic referneces to

  <graphic fileref="basename">

(without the extension!) and set the default extension to "png"
in your HTML stylesheets and "eps" in your print stylesheets.
Then Jade will "pick the right one" for you, automatically.

Does that help?

                                        Cheers,

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | Any sufficiently undocumented code
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | is indistinguishable from magic.