Re: [docbook-apps] Discard leading/trailing whitespace in <title>elements?

Paul DuBois wrote:

3. It is hard to keep the formatting of the XML indent consistant.

I use an XML formatter specifically for putting files in a given
format.  Yes, some of you will tell me I shouldn't do that.  I know.

If you have intelligent XML formatter that can read DTD/schema to identify mixed content model elements than it is OK.

Consider the case of XMl files stored in a version control system
that might be edited by different people who use different editors,
each with its own formatting conventions.

Trying to read the diffs generated when edits are committed is completely
impossible under these circumstances.  Formatting the files to a standard
format before commit reduces the size of the diffs and makes them a lot
easier to read to see what edits were made.

For comparing of XML files it is better to use same XML enabled diff, than standard plain text diff. One of the best which I know is

http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xmltools/xmldiff/