Re: [docbook-apps] TOC sidebar, not "floating"

Tristan Fiedler wrote:

I would like the rest of the DocBook "article" (my root element) to "float" around this TOC sidebar. Since the TOC sidebar only takes 50% of the vertical height of the screen, and I have set float: left, I thought the other sections of the article would "fill in" below the TOC as the reader scrolls.

I couldn't provide you with citation of CSS specification but combining position: fixed and float: left seems to me as something that fundamentally couldn't work. It will mean that text of document should be reflowed after each scroll. This is technically wrong and usability of such layout is also not very high IMHO. If you want to use floating menu, then do not use position: fixed.

Jirka