Re: [docbook-apps] Cross references starting with lowercase letters

On Wednesday 03 November 2004 15:14, Justus H. Piater wrote:
> > "As we have seen in ***S***ection 2.3.1, the busy beaver function is
> > uncomputable."
> >
> > What I like to have is
> >
> > "As we have seen in ***s***ection 2.3.1, the busy beaver function is
> > uncomputable."
>
> It is proper English style to use uppercase here because "Section"
> takes on the role of a proper name: "see Section 6, but see also the
> following section". The same holds for Equation, Figure, Theorem, etc.

That all depends on whose styleguide you are using. If you like to follow
"Chicago Manual of Style" it should be (see section X). If you follow
Microsoft "Manual of Style" or "Read Me First! - A Style Guide for the
Computer Industry," the you should use (see Section X).

The common use is however, as you say, to capitalize the "proper name."
--
Sean Wheller
sean@enbaya.co.za