Re: [docbook-apps] toolchain

Hi Baurjan,

We can relate to your experience pretty well.  We've been using the
DSSSL toolchain since 1999 with reasonably good results.  Last year we
started migrating over to xsltproc, with very good results for HTML and
Windows HTML Help output.

However, we found at that time that we still got better PDF output with
DSSSL, and we still needed it for a specialized output for QNX
Helpviewer.

Therefore, we decided to keep our source in SGML, and convert it to XML
on the fly for use with xsltproc.  So we are using two sets of
stylesheets--DSSSL for PDF output, and XML for HTML output.  This
obviously is not everyone's cup of tea, but we will continue along this
path until the output from open-source, non-Java processors using XSL
stylesheets is better than what we get now with DSSSL.  I hope someone
answers your question to that effect.

Meantime, if you are interested, here is an overview of what we are
doing:

http://developers.cogentrts.com/cogent/prepdoc/pd-tools.html#pd-xmltools

Best regards,

Bob McIlvride