[docbook-apps] OT: Help with psgml needed

Hello,

This is off-topic, but I do not know where to post it else:

Writing a large DocBook-document,
I have some serious problems with Emacs/Xemacs+psgml. Where can I get
some help?

a) Using entities to break a document in smaller pieces as described in "The Definite Guide" does not work for me:

<!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chap1.sgm">
<!ENTITY chap2 SYSTEM "chap2.sgm">
]>
&chap1;
&chap2;
</book>

Emacs (and Xemacs neither) does not parse the DTD in the smaller files. (Yes, I have tried something like

<!--
     Local Variables:
     mode: xml
     sgml-parent-document: ("master-file.xml")
     End:
   -->
)

This mechanism only works for small documents (at least on my machine.)
but not when the documents get large. I don't know how to fix this.

"File mode pecification error: void-function char-table-parent"

b) Editing of attributes does not work. It always turns
*all* attribute values to lowercase. Sometimes it inserts funny markup
like an extra ">". (Unfortunately, the last behaviour cannot be
reproduced deterministically.)
This is very dangerous because it can make files unvalid (by lowercasing
IDs or IDREfs.)

c) psgml sometimes becomes confused when I type something like

<para>The number which is half as big as n is n/2. </para>

It sometimes (but not always!) misinterprets the "/" division operator
as belonging to an end-tag. After this "/" the set of elements it offers
for this context is complete nonsense.

d) Inseting an <xref> and typing "SOMEID" for the linkend, psgml inserts the following:

<xref linkend="someid">

(there is no trailing slash and no end-tag </xref> and the attribute is lower case.)

I've tried this with psgml-1.2.5 (bytecompiled by myself) and GNU Emacs 21.1.2 and XEmacs 21.1 (patch 14).

Greetings,
Joachim