Re: [docbook-apps] Announce: DocBook XSL V1.61.0 released

Thanks for this release.  Finally the FOP output has
page numbers for chapters in the TOC.  Yay!

But now that the headers, footers, and margins seem to
be working properly, it is clear that the default side
margins for print output need work.

The problem is the sect1 title outdent.  In double sided
output, even numbered pages put those titles out to the
page edge.  That is because the outer (left) margin
is .75in, and the title.margin.left outdent is -4pc,
which is about .67in.  That leaves almost nothing.
This is true with FOP and XEP processing.

You can't just change the page.margin.outer parameter to
a larger value, because then the odd numbered pages would
have a margin too large.  Also on odd pages, the outdent
intrudes into the 1.25in inner (left) margin, which
leaves that margin too small.

I think the pagesetup for odd and even pages need to
take the title.margin.left value into account when
calculating the page margins in the page masters.
The margins for double-sided output should be:

                even page         odd page
margin-left      .75in+4pc          1.25in+4pc
margin-right     1.25in               .75in

I'd do that, but I'm going on vacation.  8^)

                                            email: bobs@sco.com