Re: Choosing a characterset for DocBook

Jens Stavnstrup wrote:

> Now I am going to release my colleague on the document. They are going to
> use a myriad of windows editors (Word, Notepad, etc in different language
> versions), and I predict this is going to cause a lot of problems.
>
> Does anybody have any experience with this issue ?

In Czech we have much more problems with encoding than you, believe me.
;)

> Should  I chose another encoding UTF-8 or what ? And then why ?

If your documents will contain a lot of character outside of ISO Latin 1
or ASCII using UTF-8 is best choice, assuming that all editors used can
deal with UTF-8.

If your documents contain only ISO Latin 1 characters, you can encode
your documents in iso-8859-1 and add following line as a first line of
your XML document:

After that change all common processing tools (including Saxon) will be
able to cope with your documents. Support for ISO Latin 1 is still
better than support for UTF-8 in many editors.

				Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz