Re: Newbie!! Windoz installation?

Hello Tim,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002 ttg@charter.net wrote:
> I am a clueless newbie.  Please point me at a FAQ
> if I am asking a totally scruffy question.

Not scruffy questions but FAQ follows :-)
[DocBook: The Definitive Guide] (reference book with introductions)
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/index.html
[DocBook FAQ] (absolutely recommended IMO)
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/index.html

> I am writing an HTML textbook, want to teach XML
> in one chapter, found DocBook and think it would be
> a far, far better thing to teach than teaching XML.
> (Yes, I have compassion for the student/readers.)

I don't know if I can follow you there. XML is a meta language for
specifying markup languages. DocBook(-XML) is an application of XML, i.e.
an allready specified markup language. IMHO, to make use of DocBook-XML
(or even the SGML version) it's of great use--if not necessary--to know
XML allready because XML forms the basis. With respect, why would you want
to teach DocBook instead of XML?

> on a Windoz box?  Yes, I know, evil empire
> and all that.  I have Unix boxes I can ssh to
> and install it, but having it at home on Windoz
> would be a Good Thing, so I could so advise
> my student/readers.

Fortunately OS is of no such great importance. I personally use WinNT
quite often for marking up and transforming my webpages in website-XML (a
DocBook-customization) and other DocBook sources because I maintained the
necessary environment there better than under Linux. Also the tools used
most often are available both for Unix as well as Win32 (GNU-Emacs,
(open)jade/sp, all java stuff anyways).

HTH,
Steffen.

--